Wednesday, July 2, 2014

What does my food look like?

So one of my goals this week was to eat out less.

I'll admit- I had become lazy and complacent. My usual breakfast at work was something from McDonalds- either a sausage biscuit + frappe or a hotcakes and sausage platter + frappe.

Medium caramel frappe- 550 calories
Sausage Biscuit- 430 calories
Hotcakes and sausage- 520 calories

So right there my breakfasts on any given day were between 980 and 1070 calories. And I was paying $4.50-$6.50 for all of the gross food! Figure that's an average of $28 a week.


Excuse me while I vomit.

And then I would skip lunch because I ate such a disgustingly large breakfast. And by the time I got home I was famished and ate a ridiculous dinner.

No wonder I gained 90 pounds. ICK!

So I've decided it's time to take my meals back! Or more accurately- take my meals to work.

I spent some time on food stamps right after college and learned to shop super thrifty, so I knew it wouldn't be a challenge to get nutritious and reasonably priced food. Here's what I bought this week

8 bagels- $2.50 (on clearance at the grocery). I split them in half
     Cost per serving- $0.16
10 yogurts- $6.00
     Cost per serving- $0.60
10 pears- $2.00 (they were seconds at the farmers market)
     Cost per serving- $0.20
6 peaches- $3.50 (farmer's market)
     Cost per serving- $0.58
3 cans of Progresso soup- $4.00 (coupon+ in store sale). Each can will provide two lunches
     Cost per serving- $0.66

So my typical breakfast has looked like this
1/2 bagel with butter (180 calories)
1 cup of yogurt (90 calories)
A piece of fruit (60 calories)
Total Cost - $1.20 (average)
Total Calories 330

And a typical lunch has looked like this:
1 bowl of soup (130 calories)
1/2 bagel  (180 calories)
Total cost- $0.82
Total calories 310

So I went from consuming roughly 1,000 calories a day at work to consuming 640 calories. I'm fuller for a longer period of time, and I've literally cut my dining costs in half ($2.02 vs $4.50)

I have a fridge in my office, so I just bring all of my food in on Monday, and then I don't have to worry about it again until the following week.

I'm actually flabbergasted at how easy it's been!


1 comment:

  1. Good job! Dieting and trying to make a lifestyle change can be so hard. Do you like to cook? If so, you can make soups for cheap at home in the crock pot or stovetop and you can freeze batches and have them anytime. Would cut back on the sodium that is in canned soup.

    ReplyDelete