Friday, October 10, 2014

Self-Care Friday

I wanted to focus today on Self-care at the place we all spend the most time- our offices. 

You see this is the busiest time of the year for me- it's not uncommon for me to work 15-18 hour days between now and mid-December. It's just one of those things that happen.

So in addition to my hourly walking around the department/stretch break, and ensuring that I'm guzzling water like it's my job, I'm also making sure to take time to relax and read. We're encouraged to keep up with growth in our field, so I have a book case of professional development books just waiting for me! Every 3 hours during the day, I take a 15 minute reading break. I've got a reading nook (which is also where I conduct my video conference calls) as well as my tea nook.

I grew up "doing tea". It's a huge tradition in my family. So when I got the closed door office, one of the first things I did was set up a proper place to have tea. I've made a TON of friends from other departments when they discovered my delicious tea stash and I often have visitors stop to have a cup of tea. I don't mind it. I tend to be a "keep to myself" person at work so it gives me an opportunity to met people from other departments.

Sorry about some of the mess and cropping. I tried to make sure I hid anything that alluded to my employer!

The Reading/Conversating Nook: 

I have a new spider plant I need to bring in and hang, and my succulent and orchid both need repotting

My Tea Nook
I'm slightly obsessed with Disney.
The stuffies were gifts from my nieces and nephews

Close up of the Tea Nook
I have 5 flavors of Harney and Sons teas to suit my mood
I also keep both sugar and artificial sweeteners in the office
The little yellow duck is my loose leaf tea infuser- isn't he sweet!


I've failed at self-care the past few years, so these were just two steps I knew I could take with my new office to ensure I treat myself better at work. It is the responsibility of the employee to pay for any decor that you don't "inherit" from the last occupant. Since I'm broke as a joke, I wanted to keep it thrifty. 

1) The fabric "runner" on the chair, side table and the tea nook was a total of 1 yard of fabric from Hobby Lobby. With my coupon it cost a total of $1.59. I used mailing tape to affix it to the cabinet.

2) That gorgeous chair? $15 on craigslist. 
3) The side table- free from the curb. I have no shame. It's got some scuffs up top, but could easily be sanded and repainted at a later time
4) Floor lamp- $10 at Target
5) The framed art was all inherited from the last occupant except for the Disney poster. The poster was free (Travel agent perk) and the frame was $8 at Wal-mart

I also have a desk lamp ($5 thrift find with $10 shade), a book case ($15 craigslist) and some other frames from  home (probably $30 total)

So I was able to make my office one of the most inviting and comfortable at this organization for less than $100. And I'll be taking most of it with me when I move to my next job. 


I highly recommend doing whatever you can to make your space yours within what is culturally acceptable at your organization. 




No comments:

Post a Comment