Sunday, May 19, 2013

Unexpected Blessings

There is nothing "Fun" about infertility, but I will say that having trouble TTC has brought me some unexpected blessings. IF can knock the wind out of your sails, so today I wanted to share some of those blessings as a reminder to myself of the things I have gained during this process of losing so much. 

1) A closer relationship with my mother. I was always a daddy's girl, and while mom was a SAHM for most of my childhood, we were never super close. She wasn't the kind of mom I could gossip with. She also went through infertility struggles while trying to start a family, so for the first time in my life, I've been able to bond with her over a shared journey. She had several failed IVFs and two ectopic pregnancies that almost killed her before she and my dad decided to adopt me, so it's nice to have a mom that "gets it".

2) A side of my husband I had never seen. He has become so fiercely protective over me. He is SO patient, so kind, and so willing. On our wedding day, one of his vows is that he would meet me where I was, with his hands ready and heart willing, always. He's always been supportive, but to know that I don't have to be alone when I cry, to know that if I need a snack or chocolate to know that he's there for me regardless has been amazing. Sure, I've vented about the times when he wasn't immediately there, but those are the exceptions, not the rule.

3) Friends I would have never had. It's weird that the ladies who "get me" and who have supported me through this journey are folks I've never met. Some of them... I don't even know what they look like. But I know they are there and that they are behind me each step of the way!

4) Friends who have opened up. Since "coming out" during NIAW, I've had several friends message me and open up about their infertility journeys. For some it was female friends who reached out. The one who REALLY surprised me was a male friend of my husband's who I know only casually. He messaged me to share what he and his wife had been through, and offered to be "That guy" for my husband to talk to about all things IF related. I feel SO blessed to have them in my life! 

5) A new outlook on life. Yes, I want to be a mother but I've come to realize that being a mother isn't the end-all be all of existence. If for some reason it never happens for me I know that I will be just fine. 

1 comment:

  1. It's wonderful to see that when you count your blessings, they outnumber the challenges. It doesn't solve the challenge of IF, but I'm glad it makes you feel better. ((hugs)) and thank you for inspiring me to look for the positive too!

    ReplyDelete