Monday, April 21, 2014

National Infertility Awareness Week: Day 2

I've decided to blog my NIAW posts this year as well- so many people that I know are coming out, and I'm realizing what a valuable resource it is to have an archive of NIAW posts.

NIAW Day 2: "Just relax/have a drink/take a vacation and you'll get pregnant". 

People mean well when they tell a friend with infertility to "just relax" or "have a few drinks" or take a vacation and they'll get pregnant. For the 1 in 8 couples who are struggling with infertility, this advice is an insulting slap to the face. Infertility is a diagnosed medical issue. It is not a result of being "too stressed" or "too busy", despite what Cosmo might tell you. There are women in war-torn nations fleeing for their lives who still get pregnant even under extreme amounts of stress.

Telling someone with infertility to relax is just as inappropriate as telling someone with clinical depression to just cheer up. You wouldn't tell a diabetic "hey, skip that insulin and just have a drink. You'll be fine, it's all in your head".

Trust me. We relaxed. Lord knows we've taken plenty of vacations together. We've had plenty of drinks. If I took the relax, take a trip, and have a drink advice every time it was given I'd be a well-rested, well-traveled drunk.

No comments:

Post a Comment