Wednesday, October 2, 2013

DIY Wednesday: Sweaters from Mittens

To follow up on my last DIY Wednesday project of the Blessing Bags, I present these upcycled mittens

Photo Credit: Nikki in Stitches
I originally saw this project on Martha Stewart, and I LOVE it. I have issues throwing anything useful away, but there are just some things (like that ugly Christmas Sweater, or the sweater that your husband shrunk) that I know won't sell in a secondhand store. 

This is the perfect project. They're definitely cute enough to wear yourself, but  I love taking a Sunday afternoon and cranking out 20 pairs to take down to the local homeless shelter or soup kitchen, or to put in my blessing bags.

It's truly the easiest project in the world.


Step 1: Trace your hand in a mitten pattern like this (I use a 1/2 inch seam allowance)

Step 2: Cut two layers of fabric from this pattern.
Step 3: sew together
Step 4: turn inside out so the sewn edge is on the inside
Step 5: Repeat to make a matching mitten


Once you get the hang of it, I've found it takes me roughly 5 minutes a mitten. I can crank out a dozen while watching a movie on a lazy afternoon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment