Wednesday, September 18, 2013

DIY Wednesday: Blessing Bags

Today I bring to you the blessing bags

Photo: Joy's Hope


This is a project that I've done many times over the years, but something I frequently do now that I'm working in a city plagued with poverty. I will not give money to a homeless person on a street corner, as oftentimes they use that money to fuel an addiction. I'm not opposed to helping them with non-financial support. Some days that means stopping at a fast food restaurant and grabbing a few burgers, and sitting and praying with the person while they eat. Other days it means giving a Blessing Bag.

I carry 3-5 of these in my car daily, and normally hand out all of them by the end of my work week. I include the following things, depending on what I can find on sale/free with coupons

Bar soap
Travel sized shampoos
Granola bars
Bandaids
Neosporin
single-packs of tylenol
Toothbrush & toothpaste
hand sanitizer
cough drops
chapstick
socks, mittens, or a hat (during the winter)
pack of tissues or a hankie
single-use laundry soaps
Beef Jerkey
peanut butter crackers
a list of local rescue missions & soup kitchens with addresses


Assemble everything into a gallon zip-lock bag, and keep in your car (within easy reach of the driver's seat) for those moments when you see someone on the corner in need of a blessing.


1 comment: